Non-profit/Volunteering, Humanitarian & Development, GBV & Protection
The Project Manager will be responsible for designing, planning and overseeing the implementation of CARE’s ECHO funded GBViE activities in Ngala LGA. The holder of the position will take the lead in developing workplans, planning and implementing all GBViE activities including supervising staff, budget management, managing women and girls safe spaces and community-based protection responses in Ngala. The Project Manager will also be responsible for engaging with relevant stakeholders and local authorities, and in providing capacity-building trainings related to key GBViE and protection concepts. The PM will also be in charge of supervising and managing day to day coordination with and implementation with the local partner.
Designing, Planning and Implementation of GBViE Activities in Ngala
- Oversee implementation of assigned GBV project guided by the approved project documents. This will entail developing and updating detailed implementation plans, work plans and procurement plans and ensuring strict adherence to such plans.
- Provide technical guidance and direct oversight of all field level project interventions in Ngala, ensuring quality and adherence to national and international protection standards and guidelines as well as CARE Gender Equality policies.
- Ensure that the design and implementation of all of CARE’s GBViE protection activities in Ngala LGA address the priority protection and GBViE needs of the internally displaced persons, host communities and other affected person. This will involve ongoing review and analysis of developments that have an impact on the protective environment in CARE’s areas of interventions.
- Provide technical input in developing project proposals, concept notes & sector publications
- Work closely with the Gender&Protection Sector Manager and the Program Director to inform program design and strategic direction.
Monitoring,Evaluation & Learning
- Initiate, support and contribute to protection and GBV assessments
- Ensure that ethical and sound data collection and information management systems are in place for appropriate analysis, planning, evaluation, and advocacy.
- Regular monitoring project activities through a detailed activity implementation tracker and tools that ensures provision of regular feedback to the project team for learning and project improvement purposes.
- Assess for gaps in programming and providing suitable solutions to the identified needs and gaps
- In collaboration with all response partners and GBVSS, contribute to analyzing the GBV trends and data to inform future program interventions
- Contribute to development and regular review of tools and assessment outcomes for continuous learning including baselines, mid-term and end lines.
- Prepare high quality weekly reports and all donor reports and ensuring they are submitted on time.
- Monitor and implement procurement plans and working with the Operations/Procurement unit to ensure adherence of the same at the sector level.
- Work closely with the Communications team to ensure proper documentation of all project activities including case studies & human-interest stories
Coordination, Advocacy, Networking and Representation
- Collaborate with the Gender & Protection Sector Manager and the Programs Director to identify and promote advocacy issues where needed and in line with CARE’s mandate in Nigeria and ensure internal coordination and harmonization of CARE GBViE-related activities with CARE Nigeria’s overall program strategy
- In coordination with CARE’s Gender & Protection Sector Manager, liaise with state governmental officials, international and national organizations and camp management structures on behalf of CARE, and represent CARE in relevant coordination structures and promote positive working relationships with partner organizations.
- Represent CARE in all GBV coordination forums by working closely with UNFPA and State Ministry of Women Affairs and other response sectors in designing responsive actions on GBV in Ngala LGA.
- Attend & facilitate coordination and networking meetings with relevant partners, community leaders, support groups and other stakeholders on GBV activities
- Regular coordination and meeting with key community protection and GBV networks to enhance community-based action and monitoring of SGBV trends in the LGA.
- Ensure that protection concerns are mainstreamed into other sectors of intervention implemented by CARE and other actors in Ngala
- Lead in promoting a positive profile CARE’s Protection and GBV program among other sectors, partners, donors and the community members.
Staff Management & Capacity Development
- Develop and facilitate trainings and workshops for the project staff and other stakeholders that promote improved understandings of GBV and protection issues and ensure the observance of international protection and humanitarian law standards.
- Directly supervise and manage national regular staff including GBV Officer, Psychosocial Officer, M&E officer and GBV Assistants and Case workers under partner organization
- In charge of recruiting and providing orientation for all new project staff including backstopping and immediate replacement in case of transitions
- Capacity building all ECHO GBV staff on technical GBV, WGSS programming, Psychosocial support and relevant principles and standards in GBV implementation in displacement settings
- Provide on the job training and mentorship to staff including to ensure a healthy working environment.
- Lead performance management for all ECHO staff by jointly setting performance objectives, reviewing performance progress and providing regular objective feedback to staff on their development.
- Prepare and monitor the detailed spending plans for the grant as per the work plan
- Manage ECHO GBV budget by following up on the spending plans in order to maintain program expenditure within the required budget parameters
- Provide regular feedback to finance team to ensure correct posting, budget utilization and follow up.
- Work with the Finance team to support partners budget management and utilization.
Experiences and Competencies:
- Minimum 5 years of experience in mid-to-senior level management positions, with experience in the field of humanitarian response working for an international NGO, UN agency or relevant ministry or local authority
- Experience with design and implementation of GBViE interventions targetting displacement affected persons; including support to community-based protection structures, integrated protection programming, protection monitoring and analysis, psychosocial support and women and girls safe spaces
- Proven commitment to accountability and quality assurance.
- Excellent analytical and writing skills.
- Experience with capacity building, and organizing and facilitating trainings and workshops.; excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to establish effective and working relations with staff members and other stakeholders.
- Experience in managing staff.
- Experience working in cross-cultural, multi-sector and/or remote environments.
- Ability to work well under pressure and in adverse conditions.
- Commitment to learning and implementing organizational policies and procedures.
- Minimum Bachelor Degree in social sciences, law, social work, international development, or other relevant field from a recognized institution.
- Post-Graduate qualifications in areas related to humanitarian work will be an added advantage.
- IT Training in advanced MS Office (Word, Excel, Acess); full proficiency in MS Office packages required;
- The position is 80% field (Ngala based) 20% Maiduguri based due to meetings and workshops to be attended by the PM.80% of time at the field will be spent in project locations mainly liaising with and coordinating activities with local implementing partners, monitoring and supervising project implementation, community engagement with community structures, advocacy with and coordination with Local Government Authorities, other humanitarian actors and stakeholders within the area of operations.
- It is essential that the Project Manager maintains active presence in the field to ensure proper technical support, implementation and supervision and monitoring of GBV activities as well as technical support for staff and local implementing partner.