The role of the Safety and Security Assistant (SSA) is focused on the continuous implementation of safety and Security strategies and protocols in order to ensure a high level of safety and wellbeing for all CARE International staff based in field location.
The SSA will maintain a high level of contextual awareness of his/her operating area and strong coordination with Program and Program support teams at the field level.
He/ She will promote a strong Safety and Security culture at their field office(s) through continuous trainings and collaborative security assessments with all field based staff.
The SSA will serve as the Safety and Security unit representative at field level and also serve, when required as the Safety unit representative on the Field Crisis Management Team.
The SSA will report directly to the Safety and Security Officer of his/her state, and will be an integral part of the Safety and Security Unit.
Job Title: Safety and Security Assistant
Employment Category: Contract
Employment Type: Full-Time
Vacancy Type: National
Location: Borno State (Dikwa and Rann)
Reporting to: Safety and Security Officer
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS
- Continuously monitoring the environment in the operational areas for which he/she is responsible. As required, and at a minimum of once per quarter, support Safety and Security Manager on updating the Safety and Security strategies for CARE International.
- Based on current context make recommendations to the Safety and Security Officer/Safety and Security Manager for updates to Field Level Standard Operating Procedures and Safety Risk Management Plans.
- Ensure that the Field Level Security Plans and associated documents are kept up to date and reviewed regularly
- Ensure the safety readiness of all CARE staff at Field level through regular integration of safety and Security management priorities and objectives into Field Office planning
- Brief, manage and liaise on daily basis with the contracted guarding services to ensure the guard force is aware of CARE standards and can effectively provide for the safety of CARE compound/staff and assets
- Liaise with government, Army, Police, SSS, Local Heads and other key external stakeholders at field level to ensure that CARE staff can maintain regular and safe access to program areas
- Prepare Hibernation, Relocation and Evacuation plan for the area of responsibility with the support of Safety and Security Officer and Safety and Security Manager.
- Prepare field office Emergency procedures with the support of Safety and Security Officer and Safety and Security Manager.
- Maintaining physical safety standards as established by the Safety and Security Unit for CARE office and guesthouse at Field level
- Ensuring that all CARE Field based staff are aware of established Safety and Security strategies and have the means to follow established protocols on a continuous basis
- Ensuring that the contracted guard force maintains a high standard of guarding for CARE office / Guest House, and when required take corrective action in coordination with the Guard force management
- Ensuring that required relationships with local police and other security agencies are maintained in order to assist (when required) with ensuring the safety of CARE staff, facilities and assets
- In coordination with the Safety and Security Manager, support training plans for all CARE Field level staff focused on safety awareness and skill sets
- During any critical incident or crises serve as the Safety and Security unit representation on the Field Level Crisis Management Team (F-CMT)
- Ensure that all Field Level Crisis management plans are kept up to date and reviewed regularly
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Ensure and Promote Gender Equality Diversity & Inclusion (GEDI) and be GEDI sensitive, creating an enabling environment where diversity can flourish, and all staff and stakeholders experience inclusion and appreciation.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Minimum of First degree in a field related to Humanitarian Work or Risk Management
- Required Skills and Experience:
- A Minimum of 3 years of demonstrative experience in INGO/NGO or UN field (operations) with at least 2 years of field safety management experience included
- Competent and literate in English, verbal and written, with a sound knowledge of technical expressions
- Competent and literate in local language of Borno and Yobe, verbal and written, with a sound knowledge of technical expressions
- Sound judgment and the ability to work effectively with others at all levels
- Strong assessment, evaluation, analysis and strategic planning skills
- IT literate, MS – Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Experience in developing safety related technical tools guidelines and systems
- Interpersonal communication and proven written / presentation skills
- Demonstrated ability to manage under stressful conditions
- Demonstrated knowledge of the historical and socio-political context of Nigeria
- Strong knowledge on Do No Harm and commitment to humanitarian principles
- Application of technical skills and program support
- Capacity building
- Observance of policies and procedures;
- Maintenance of relationships and partnerships;
- Advocacy with local policy makers
- Communication and interpersonal skills
- Monitoring and Evaluation
100% Field Based
- Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
- CARE is an Equal Opportunity Employer. CARE considers all applicants on the basis of merit without prejudice to race, sexual orientation, religion, disability, age, color, national origin, marital status, or veteran status.
- There are individuals who may use CARE’s name and trademark in emails and on websites in an attempt to solicit fees from interested job-seekers. Please note that CARE will not request for any monetary payments from applicants at any stage of the recruitment process.
CARE strongly encourage women to apply.