Job Responsibility #1: Context understanding and Analysis
- Analyze the parameters of the working environment by assessing the nature of the threats and CARE vulnerabilities in relation to the emergency situation.
- Collect the necessary data and information to develop a comprehensive risk assessment.
- Monitor political, social, economic, and military situation and identify trends relevant to security situation.
Job Responsibility #2: Safety and Security Risk Management
- Contribute to develop a safety and security culture within the mission by addressing and helping staff to address safety and security related issues.
- Ensure that security planning becomes an integral part of day-to-day operations and is integrated into the development of future programs.
- Assist with the strategic and operational analysis and assessments, and with the refinement of program strategies.
- Ensure that the Field Level Security Plans and associated documents are kept up to date and reviewed regularly.
- Perform security risk assessments or evaluation missions to the field and regularly review safety and security procedures.
- Ensure the CO is meeting minimum standards and complying with policies and procedures.
- Maintain physical safety standards as established by the Safety unit for CARE office and guesthouse at Field level.
- Organise and circulate relevant safety and security information to the staff and provide an opportunity for employees to voice Safety and/or Security-related concerns.
- Supervise and enforce compliance safety and security standards and procedures.
- Ensure that all incoming visitors receive a security briefing and information
- Ensure that an administrative structure is put in place to effectively deal with crisis management
- Train staff on the CO established contingency measures and ensure they know how to react.
Job Responsibility #3: Liaison, Networking and Analysis
- Brief, manage and liaise on daily basis with the contracted guarding services to ensure the guard force is aware of CARE standards and can effectively provide for the safety of CARE compound/staff and assets.
- Liaise with government, Army, Police, SSS (State Security Services), Local Heads and other key external stakeholders to ensure that CARE staff can maintain regular and safe access to program areas.
- Represent CARE International and coordinate amongst all actors (state, military, UN, NGO, etc) on all matters pertaining to safety and security.
- Review periodically past experiences and practices and propose improvements based on analytical judgment
Job Responsibility #4: Incident Reporting and Management
- Train staff on the incident reporting form and procedures.
- Ensure timely and accurate reporting of safety and security incidents.
- During any critical incident or crises serve as the Safety and Security unit representation on the Field Level Crisis Management Team (F-CMT).
- Ensure that all Field Level Crisis management plans are kept up to date and reviewed regularly.
Job Responsibility #5: Training and Capacity Building
- Coordinate training in safety and security ensuring that staff have the necessary equipment (fire extinguishers, first aid, communications means such as VHF radios, Walkie-talkie, Satellite phone..) and are trained accordingly.
- Ensure all staff understand and fulfil individual and collective responsibilities for safety and security.
- Ensure that the contracted guard force maintains a high standard of guarding for CARE office and residence, and when required take corrective action in coordination with the Guard force management.
- Contribute to CARE’s resource mobilization efforts
- Minimum of First degree in a field related to Humanitarian Work or Risk Management.
- A Minimum of 3 - 5 years of demonstrative experience in INGO/NGO or UN field (operations) with at least 2 years of field safety management experience included.
- Competent and literate in English, verbal and written, with a sound knowledge of technical expressions.
- Competent and literate in local language of the assigned location(s), verbal and written, with a sound knowledge of technical expressions.
- Sound judgment and the ability to work effectively with others at all levels
- Strong assessment, evaluation, analysis and strategic planning skills.
- IT literate, MS – Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Qualifications and / or experience in professional security related fields
- Ability to teach basic personal safety and security awareness
- Strong assessment, evaluation, analysis and strategic planning skills
- Monitoring and Evaluation
- Ability to communicate in local language.
Skill and Competence:
- Work style: Is well planned and organized even within a fluid working environment and has a capacity for initiative and decision making with competent analytical and problem solving skills.
- Communication Skills: Well developed written and oral communication skills. Able to communicate clearly and sensitively with internal and external stakeholders as a representative of CARE. This includes effective negotiation and representation skills
- Integrity: Works with trustworthiness and integrity and has a clear commitment to CARE's core values and humanitarian principles.
- Awareness and sensitivity of self and others: Demonstrates awareness and sensitivity to gender and diversity. Have experience and the ability to live and work in diverse cultural contexts in a culturally appropriate manner. Has a capacity to make accurate self-assessment particularly in high stress and high security context
· Multiple local language skills desirable.
- Building Effective Teams
- Customer Focus
- Integrity and Trust
- Drive for Results
- Comfort around Higher management
- Business Acumen
- Organizational Agility
- Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
- CARE is an Equal Opportunity Employer. CARE considers all applicants on the basis of merit without prejudice to race, sexual orientation, religion, disability, age, color, national origin, marital status, or veteran status.
- There are individuals who may use CARE’s name and trademark in emails and on websites in an attempt to solicit fees from interested job-seekers. Please note that CARE will not request for any monetary payments from applicants at any stage of the recruitment process.
Qualified Women are strongly encouraged to apply.