The Nutrition Officer will provide support to nutrition programmes and activities to contribute to meeting the nutritional needs of WFP/CARE beneficiaries in Ngala LGA of Borno State.
Job Title: Nutrition/BSFP Officer
Employment Category: Contract
Employment Type: Full-Time
Vacancy Type: National
Location: Ngala, Borno State
Reporting to: Project Manager (WFP)
I. RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS:
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Plan and monitor Nutrition programme, verify the planned movements and distribution of nutrition products, resolving routine issues and/or escalating where appropriate, to ensure that the quantity distributed, and the quality of the operation is in line with the standards.
- Summarize Nutrition data, conduct analysis and prepare reports to support programme reviews and informative decision-making.
- Improvements to field staff/monitoring processes and procedures for efficient implementation of Nutrition programmes.
- Support communication and activities with other partners, agencies, NGOs, and government institutions.
- Build team capacity in Nutrition through effective guidance, coaching, training, and accountability.
- Assist in developing and expanding malnutrition prevention activities through promotion of IYCF and awareness raising in targeted areas.
- Strengthen eternal stakeholder engagement including district local governments to strengthen nutrition programming
- Follow standard emergency preparedness practices to ensure CARE/WFP can quickly respond and deploy needed resources to affected areas at the onset of the crisis.
- Participate in national level nutrition technical working group discussions as may be required by the Project/Sector Manager.
- Any other duties as may be required
Project Monitoring and Reporting
- Assist in the collection of data, conduct of assessments (needs, risks, and security), and provide input for concept note/ proposal development for Nutrition related project in collaboration with the local community structures and community members
- Monitor progress against grant work plan; promptly identifying any current or potential delays
- Produce/give to CARE and donor reports as per set schedules (monthly, quarterly, and annually) on grant activities, indicators, and achievements.
- Assist his/her supervisors to ensure all monitoring activities are fully detailed, including systematic and timely data required under the grant and for CARE M&E purposes.
Capacity Building and Coaching:
- Capacitate the community facilitators, staffs under his/her supervisee, and others (if any) on Nutrition Programming.
- Support and mentor the CNMs and PMCs to meet the humanitarian principles during Response program/facilitating the payment to the said category of people.
Coordination and Representation
- Participate on seasonal and Nutrition cluster assessments and share findings
- Work integrating with CARE warehouse, finance, procurement, and admin/HR staff to process Purchase Requests, and Payments
- Represent the CARE on coordination meetings at different level like LGA, community and wards.
- Build very good team sprit with CARE program and supporting staffs at field, at office
- Other duties as assigned by the supervisor to enable and develop CARE programs.
II. QUALIFICATIONS (KNOW HOW)
- University degree/HND/OND in any of the following disciplines: Nutrition, Public Health, or related field.
- 1st Degree in a related field.
- At least 3 years’ experience in Nutrition, Biology, Public Health, Nursing, or food aid support.
- A good experience in supervision is required.
- Experience with survey methodologies, nutrition assessment and relevant data analysis
- Previous experience working with an INGO or a Development organization.
C) TECHNICAL SKILLS:
- 2-3 years progressively responsible experience in Nursing, Biology, Nutrition/or Public Health Sector of INGO and/or directly related area
- Fluency in English and Hausa.
- Experience in a development and/or humanitarian organization.
- Strong knowledge of Nutrition and/or Public Health
- Advanced computers skills at least intermediate skills in windows-based word processing, spreadsheet
- Ability to establish priorities, plan, coordinate and organize own work plan.
- Resourcefulness, initiative, maturity, tact, advocacy skills.
- Excellent analytical, conceptual, communication and public speaking skills
- Understanding of political dynamics, foreign policy decision making procedures
- Ability to establish and maintain good working relations with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
- Good written and oral communication skills
- Ability to exercise independent judgment and work without direction.
- Strong level of autonomy to provide independent follow through on processing issues and concerns
- Excellent planning, organizational and time management skills Integrity
- Details focus
- Strong team player
- Strong problem solving, analytical, operational, and coordinating abilities
- Good interpersonal, oral, and written communication and presentation skills
- Strong customer service focus and ability to work well with people from various backgrounds and cultures at all levels in organization.
- 20% AO, 70% travel to field locations; 10% travel to HQ office and other sub office.
There are individuals who may use CARE’s name and trademark in emails and on websites in an attempt to solicit fees from interested jobseekers. Please note that CARE will not request for any monetary payments from applicants at any stage of the recruitment process.
CARE is an Equal Opportunity Employer. CARE considers all applicants on the basis of merit without prejudice to race, sexual orientation, religion, disability, age, colour, national origin, marital status, or veteran status.
Qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.